Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fun with knitting friends

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of knitting with a friend. With work, family, boards and committees, I don't have much time for a social life outside of these things. I do love my work, and I do consider all of these things my work, but I do enjoy a little fun without an agenda!

Tabbetha is a professional knitter. She designs fabric and fashions for Peruvian Connection, and has done so for more than a decade. Her work there has taken her around the world and given her the opportunity to do what most knit designers dream of.

Her most recent expansion in her own design for the catalog is a series of wet felted jewelry. So beautiful!
These earrings almost make me wish I still had pierced ears!

The black necklace on the right is my favorite. What a great wet felting idea! Because most of my work centers around Waldorf-themed crafting, it's refreshing to see wet felting for adults.

We met at her studio to knit the afternoon away while dh, Little A and Little N went exploring in Kansas City.

Her studio is every knitter's dream! Wool, yarn, roving, dyes, felting supplies, knitting machines, fancy gadgets, swatches. You name it, it's there. Wow! It was so much fun to look around, trying not to salivate on stuff. We talked a lot about dyeing, felting, design, spinning, wool, and pretty much every "wool" topic there is.

 Handspun yarn. Check.

 Look at all the cool gadgets!

 See those stacks of totes? They contain swatches from material that she designed. Can you even imagine?

 Wool, roving, dye pots, dyes, felting supplies, all at the ready. Knitters could get into some serious trouble here.


Not only did we have a good time knitting, I got to ask all sorts of design questions and got to spend the afternoon with someone I've wanted to get to know better for a long time.

Thanks, Tabbetha, for a lovely Saturday afternoon!

p.s. That's a mohair sweater she designed herself. Amazing lady!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Thank you, Jenny! Let's schedule another session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise well deserved. Signed Tabbetha's mother.

    ReplyDelete